A nobleman, Lazar Agošton, opened a new feudal castle on the left bank of the River Begej in Ečka in 1820. For the purpose of the opening ceremony, the whole village was done up. Houses were decorated and gardens and streets were cleaned up. Alleys were reshaped and triumphal arcs were set, as well. The main chef was brought all way from Vienna, for that particular occasion. Coaches and horses were glittering for the special reception of 300 noble guests from Vienna and Budapest. Even the richest and the most respectable nobleman in Hungary, Count Esterházy was present at the opening ceremony.
On August 29, 1820, a special firework was organized and next morning the church bells announced the beginning of the ceremony, inviting the citizens of Ečka to the celebration and the consecration of the castle. After the official lunch, a hunt was organized for the gentlemen, and ladies went for a gondola ride on Veliko jezero and the River Begej. The peak of the ceremony was the great ball, which was like a magic: wonderful ball gowns, magnificent uniforms, and torches in many colours all along numerous park alleys.
On the third day of the ceremony, Franz Liszt, the „wunderkind“ of that age, delighted the audience with his virtuosity.
For many years, „Kaštel“ was a centre of hunters’ gatherings, where people were coming from both Serbia and abroad. Austro – Hungarian crown prince Franz Ferdinand and Serbian crown prince Aleksandar Karađorđević also used to visit and stay in the castle.
World War II and war destruction did not spare “Kaštel”, as well, and owners left it for good and went to the USA.
Since 1990s, the “Kaštel” castle has been under protection of Institute for Cultural Monuments.